Support for MonoGame

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Hello,

At the beginning I would like to say that your project is very interesting and nice to use.

I would like to ask you if you are planning to add support for MonoGame (http://monogame.codeplex.com/) which will allow to use your project for making games on linux and other devices?

I have tried to compile sources using MonoGame instead of XNA and despite compilation success, it was not possible to run the example, because Font class uses reflection to access private fields of SpriteFonts, that does not exists in MonoGame implementation.

Thanks,
Wojtek

Coordinator
Sep 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Thanks for bringing this up. I'm actually planning to move to MonoGame as my primary platform for development. 

Anyways I plan to completely replace the spritefont class (because it sucks) and as soon as I do that I'll make sure everything works with monogame. I should be able to get this done sometime next week. Currently the reflection is to access data such as kerning data which I need for the textbox and to properly align strings.

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Edited Oct 10, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Any progress on this? I don't see any relevant changes in the repo, but I may just be blind.

Anyhow, I've just about fully converted Ruminate to support Monogame, I just have some input changes to implement. Rendering works fine though. 

I forget what changes I made to the font code, but I recall it being fairly simple. I'll check it once I get home.

Edit: Looks like the fix is in the repo after all (Commit 7d5b74d8870f). Good work Scott. Fix involved using SpriteFont instead of Font class (at least until replacement SpriteFont class is implemented). 

Coordinator
Oct 11, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Once you get it fully working in MonoGame please e-mail me the project. I would like to officially support MonoGame but haven't had time to do it myself. I would of course credit you fully (EX: MonoGame support thanks to MH6) or however you would prefer.